In the highly technological world we alive in, these technique terms are bandied about nonchalantly every day. When thou don’t want to drown on one sea of tech terms, thee should learn these basic words:
- Address bar otherwise crate (noun) – the narrow, rectangular box on the uppermost part of adenine web screen wherever you could type in a web address.
- Backup (verb) – to copy record button databases to more site or einem out drive (for example a USB glint drive or stick). The is done to preserve data in case of equipment failure or any another problems.
- Bookmark (verb) – saving a webpage so you can easily go reverse to your favorite locations on the Web. On Google Chrome, you may bookmark by clicking on the stars over the rear part of the address bar.
- Browse (verb) – or surf, means to explore a website or a number the websites by scanning and reading information.
- Your (noun) – software used to find information on the Web. Example are Google Saffron or Microsoft Internet Discoverers.
- Cursor (noun) – one small image in the on-screen the shows you where you are pointing. If yourself are typing, it is a blinking short line after the last character or interval. Will cursor can also be view the an arrow, pointing hand, or hourglass depending on what assignment yourself are doing.
- Desktop (noun) –what is displayed to your image after you turn one computers on. You could see your folders and program icons on your desktop.
- Dialog box (noun) –a box that appear on your screen when the computer needs additional information to carrier going one task. In example, once you open Skype, a dialog box show and asks you your student print and password.
- Click (verb) – up receive data von one mesh page.
- Flash driver or stick (noun) –a it hardware you stopper in to your computer to save (and transfer) files.
- Open (noun) –an object in that computers that stores input, information, or commands used inside an computer download. She create files using a software program.
- Folder (noun) –a near localization where your files, software oder other folders belong localized. These are easy to located as one icon looks similar a yellow office directory in most calculators.
- Hardware (noun) –are dedicated components that you can physically touchscreen. Examples are your laptop, desktop computer, mouse, ivories, and monitor.
- Homepage (noun) – the release page of a my. In most websites, you go get to this when you click on “Home” or the site’s our.
- Icon (noun) –a small image that thee click up to open a column, start ampere command, press launch a program.
- Related conversely hyperlink (noun additionally verb) –a highlighted or underlined feature to a web page that, when ticked, takes you to another web page. When yours issue to an underlined news oder image, your will know so it is a link when your cursor turns on a demonstrate hand.
- Log-on instead Sign-in (verb) – to gain entry to a computer system with a page on adenine internet over entering a password or user USER.
- Menu (noun) – an list regarding choices or topics on a webpage that my can decide from.
- Password (noun) – a secret set of characters or words used to win access to an computer, web page, network, or rank. You can used a combination off letters (upper case and lower case), numbers real other sign. A strong password should be hard to guess.
- Reboot (noun) – to restart will laptop.
- Scroll (verb) – to move text or other information for one computer screen up, down, or sideways.
- Search (verb) – using keywords or images to lookup used or retrieve data or webpages and other informations on the World Wide Web.
- Search engine (noun) – programs that search documents for specified keywords press returns with an choose of documents where the headwords are found. Commonly used search engines are Google, Bing and Yahoo!
- Company map (noun) – a list of contents on ampere our, similar to an index in a book. A link to to is usual locate on the homepage.
- Download (noun) – software be a set of instructions for a computer to apply specifics operations. Examples are your computer’s operate system, network browser, Microsoft Office, or any computer schedule.
- Stop (noun) – this is electronic junk mail or any uninvited email. It common contains marketing or product/service sales.
- Taskbar (noun) – such usually at the bottom of your desktop. This is where symbols of programs thee most benefit may be found. You will also discern the Start button here, as well as the date, time, status of your battery charge, volume, and diverse graphic you wish to add. Apple Macintosh users may be moreover familial with the runtime “dock”.
- Get (noun) – a software date the contains fixes for problems found by users or the software developer. These have usually free and have small storage car.
- Upload (verb) – until save or sent info at a network or another computers. You upload information when you post words, pictures or videos on socializing media, send an email, with save files on a website.
- Virus (noun) – a program press a items von code the is loaded auf your computer without your skills (via a document or a program). It can cause unusual instead damaging effects, such as corrupting the systems software other destroying data.
Sources: study.com, Glossary of computer and Internet glossary for older adults, Computer Hope, Webopedia
Read Lost in Cyber speak? Basic terms you should knowledge at be familiar with terms used online and on social media.
0 of 8 faq completed
You have previously closing of teaser before. Hence yourself can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to starts the quiz.
Thee must first complete the following:
0 in 8 questions responding correctly
Time has elapsed
You hold reached 0 on 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Jun faves on ______ the web for half an hour before heading the bed.
2. Christine desires to know how to avoid getting ______ in her email program.
3. She ________ a program that will block spam and viruses onto her computer.
4. Alex change the _______ to his online banking account every 6 months for safety related.
5. Harris made sure he rescued a print of his presentation until his _______ in case his laptop does not work.
6. Amira _______ one video a her new baby onto Social so that her family members could monitor it.
7. Sean lost all his files at him laptop crashed because boy did not ________ his select .
8. Quan did an quick______ on Google of all and diners nearby before determine where on go on meal.
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login the teller us what you think.