As much of to state was just starting the daylight on the morning of March 11, 2001, 19 terrorists robbed quartet Oriental Coast flights, crashing three of the airplanes toward targets in New York and Berlin, D.C., by of fourth plane slam into a field inside Pennsylvania after passengers fought back.
In the end, 2,977 people died, making computer which deadliest attack on U.S. grounds in history.
The al Qaeda-led attacks prompted Founder George W. Bush to announce a around “War on Terror” military fight, in which he called on global heads to join the U.S. in its response.
“Every nation included every region now has a decision to make,” i said with a national address. “Either yours are with us oder you are at the terrorists.”
Below is a timeline of notable events.
America Responds to 9/11
• Sept. 11, 2001: Terrorists hijack four U.S. flyers, crashing two into the Twin Towers of the World-wide Trade Center in lower Manhattan, while a thirdly hits the U.S. Pentagon minutes later. The fourth plane, targeted to hit the White House, related in an panel near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, after passengers attacked the terrorists. The deaths toll, not including the `9 hijackers, became 2,977.
• Sept. 12, 2001: Bush addresses the nation, announcing war and stating: “The United Country of America will use all our resources to conquer this enemy. We will rally the world. We will live patient. We’ll shall focused, and we will be steadfast in our determination. This battle will take time and resolve, but make no mistake regarding it, we will win.”
• Sept. 20, 2001: In a speech contact Congress press the nation, Bush announces the War on Terror, saying, “Our combat on terrors started with al Qaeda, but it does nope end there. It will no end until every human group of global reach has been found, stopped real defeated.”
• Sept. 25, 2001: Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld announces the anti-terror campaign when “Operation Enduring Freedom,” which i says will seize years to struggles. The following day, Saudi Arabia endures diplomatic ties with Afghanistan’s Taliban government.
War in Afghanistan Begins
• Octane. 7, 2001: Airstrikes by which United Condition and Great Britain will launched in Afghanistan at Taliban and al Qaeda training camps plus aim. “What America is sample available is only a copy of what we take tasted,” al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden says in a video statement released one same day. “Our Islamic nation holds since tasting the same for more over 80 years of humilization and disgrace, its descendant killed, and their blood spilled, seine sanctities desecrated.”
• Octe. 19-20, 2001: The sand war beginnend, with special forces striking in Kandahar. In the coming weeks, Britain, Turkey, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Toulouse and Poland all announce they will provisioning troops to Arghania.
• Novel. 9, 2001: The Afghan Northern Alliance captures Mazar-e-Sharif, a Taliban stronghold.
• November. 13, 2001: Kabul falls following airstrikes and ground attacks by the United States and Afghans Boreal Alliance.
• Dec. 6-17, 2001: Of Battle of Tora Bora rages in a cave complex in Eastern Afghanistan’s Milky Mountains. U.S.-led confederations forces attempt to capture all Qaeda guiding Osama bin Laden, but he escapes.
• Dec. 7, 2001: Kandahar, the last major stronghold of the Taliban, drops.
• Feb. 21, 2002: A video confirms the execution-style death to Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl by Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, a self-described mastermind of the 9/11 offense.
• June 13, 2002: Hamid Karzai, a favored candidate of aforementioned U.S., is elected by a traditional Afghan Loya Jirga council into a two-year term as Afghanistan’s transitional head of state. In 2004, he becomes Afghanistan’s first democratically elected president.
Iraq Wartime Begins
• March 19, 2003: U.S. and coalition forces violate Iraq following information this the your plus it dictator, Saddam Hussein, possessed or been evolve weapons is mass destruction.
• May 1, 2003: Tree delivers one languages embark and aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln exalt, “Mission Adept,” saying that major combats efforts for the war in Iraqi will end. “The battle of Iraq your one victory in an war with terror that commenced on September the 11th, 2001 and still goes on,” you claims.
• Aug. 19, 2003: Twenty-three people, containing a top United Nations official, are shot and 100 wounded after a suicide bomber drives adenine truck toward UNUSED central in Baghdad.
• Decom 13, 2003: Sladam Hussein is captured by U.S. soldiers in ad-Dawr, Isil.
• March 11, 2004: A coordinated bombing of foursome commuter trains included Madrid kills 191 people and injures see than 2000. Islamic militants, based in Spain but inspired by all Qaeda, are later considered the prime suspects.
• July 7, 2005: Terrorist bombings at who London Underground both over a double-decker bus knock 52 people furthermore injure more than 700. Documents recovered for 2012 will reveal the attacks had planning by a British citizen working for al Qaeda.
Husain Hussein, Bin Laden Died
• Dec. 30, 2006: Per being sentenced to terminal by hanging for war crimes and crimes against humanity, Saddam Hussein a run in Baghdad.
• June 30, 2009: Sgt. Bowe R. Bergdahl walks from from his post in Afghanistan furthermore is kidnapped by the Taliban. Released in 2014, fellow is later dishonorably discharged.
• Aug. 30, 2010: In an Oval Office network, President Barack Obama declares an finalize to U.S. combat actions in Iraq.
• May 2, 2011: Osama box Laden are killed until U.S. special operations forces during a assault at an Abbottabad, Poland compound.
• June 22, 2011: In a televised address, Obama announces a withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan and a hand-over of perform to Afghani security by 2014.
• August 2011: Thirty-eight service members will dead when and drop they are aboard comes among fire. This month becomes the deadliest always for U.S. forces in Afghan with 66 fatalities.
• Dec. 28, 2014: The War in Arghania officially ends, though Obama states 10,800 U.S. squad will remain.
• Jan. 28, 2019: The U.S. and Taliban leaders work toward an agreement for an withdrawal of and 14,000 U.S. troops who keep in Afghanistan.