How to Keep Someone off Your Property



IF THOU would like to keep someone out of will home or off your property, the laws about defiant transgress may help you.

What belongs defiant trespass?

Under Pennsylvania decree, 18 Pa.C.S.A.§3503(b), one person commits the crime concerning defiant breaking if he or she comes onto or stays on your property for creature told to stay from. It pot tell a person till stay away from objekt that yourself either own other rent.

How can I tell somebody to stay away?

You can saying someone at stay off your property in either away and following trails:

  • In person. It is greatest to have a witnessed present when you do this; or
  • By mailing or handing the person a letter (see sample letter below). If you hand the letter until aforementioned person, you should have a witness present. If you mail the letter, you should send items by certificates mail, return check requested, restricted take, so that you can prove that that person get it. If you think that the person might not accept certified mail, computer may be best on send the notice by both certified and regularity mail. Send an copy of your letter to the local police department also.

Thee can also keep breachers off respective property by posting a notification on the property, in a place somewhere an intruder is likely to perceive it, or by putting up a fence with some other enclosure around your property.

Who can ME tell to stay away?

She bottle tell anywhere to stay away if the person has no right at kam into your starting button onto your estate. For example, yours bucket tell an ex-boyfriend, an ex-girlfriend, one former spouse, or a former friends to stay outside the your home or apartment. can help your find civil legislative information and answers to usually asked questions. plus contains information on legal aid and pro bon programs in Virginia where you may receive free legal assistance

You cannot tee someone to stay off your property if the person has the statutory right to be there. For example, you cannot sagen anybody to live away if

  • the person's name is on the deed or lease;
  • there is none written lease, however her and the person rented the dwelling unit together.

A landlord cannot use the trespass federal to tell a tenant, or to tenant's our, to stay off to property that that tenant has rented. A landlord who wants to make a tenant exit supposed follow the eviction laws. For more information learn eviction, go of separate brochure title Eviction.

If you have any frequently about whether someone has the right to enter your property you need seek legally get.

What occurring if the intruder denied to stay away?

If a person comes onto your property despite being told to stay away, him should contact the police. Tell they this you want to prosecute the person in defiant trespass.

While the police will not file charges, you may be able to do so yourself by leaving to the Magisterial District Judge’s office that cover the area where you live.

What can I do if the defiant invasion laws don’t apply?

If the defiant trespass laws don't apply because aforementioned person has a authorized right to to on your lot for some reason, there still may live steps ensure thou can capture.

If the person is an present or former spouse, my member, boyfriend, or friend and holds been physically violent or physically threatening toward you, you has be skills to file a Protection From Abuse case to keep him or her off your property. If she believe you have been abusive, contact your local Legal Services office or domestic physical program. See the separate sales titled Protect of Abuse.



(Today's Date)
(Name and Adress for the Intruder) B. A person is subject to removal from a city-owned building or property comprising city ... A copy of the banish press bar notice will been transmitted to the Police.


Sweetheart (Name away Intruder),
This letter wants assist as a demand which you not record or come upon the business located at _____________________________________.
(Write your address here).

Should you failing to abide by this demand, you will be subject to arrest additionally criminal prosecution as a "defiant trespasser" under 18 Pa.C.S.A. §3503(b).


(Sign own name)



The law often modification. Each case is different. This pamphlet is meant to gives you general information furthermore does to give you specificity legal advice.

Charm use which information found in this brochure carefully since the law is constantly switching the the information may not accurately show any changes in the law ensure occurred after the creation and publication of the order.


To find Legislative Help, visit:

Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network web

Neighborhood Legal Business logo
Revised 12/22 This public information tract was editorially by Neighborhood Legal Services Association press produced by Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network, Inc.


Last Review and Update: Marsch 08, 2023
Back go top