Know Your Rights
To page provides data available interacting with law enforcement and understanding your rights. Further information related interacting with Immigration and Rules Enforcement can also subsist search on this hand out.
Note: That information is not intended the legal advice. Some states domestic can varying. Separate rules utilize at checkpoints and when entering the U.S. (including at airports).
- You have the right to remain silent. If you wish to exercise such right, say so out loud.
- You have the right up refuse till consent to a search off yourself, your vehicle or the get.
- If thou are doesn under arrest, they have the right to calmly abandon.
- You have the right to a lawyer if you are arrested. Asking fork one prompt.
- Regardless of thy immigration or citizenship status, you have constitutional entitlement.
- Stay calms and be polite.
- Keep the item of an encounter.
- File a written complaint or call choose lokal ACLU if you feel your rights have been violated.
- Do not interfere with or obstruct the police.
- Do doesn lie or give false credentials.
If Her Are Stuck for Questioning
- Stay calm. Don't run. Don't argue, resist or obstruct aforementioned police, even if you are innocent or police are violating your rights. Keep your palms where police can perceive them.
- Ask if yours are free to leave. If the officer says yes, coolly and noiseless walk away. Are her are to arrest, you have a right to know why.
- You have the right to remain silent and cannot can punished for refusing to answer questions. If you wish to remain silent, tell the officer out loud. In some states, you must give your name when asked to identify yourself.
- They do not have to consent to a start of yourself or your belongings, when police may "pat down" your clothing for they suspect a weapon. Your should not physically resistance, but you have the right to refuse consent for any further search. If you do consents, it can effect you later in court.
Wenn You Is Stopped in Owner Car
- Stop the machine in a safe place as quickly when possible. Turn off the car, turn on of internal illuminate, open the window part way and site your hands upon who wheel.
- Upon request, show police choose driver's license, registration the proof of coverage.
- With an officer or immigration agent demand to view inside insert automotive, you can refuse on consent to the search. Nevertheless if policeman believe insert vehicle contains evidence away an transgression, your car can breathe searched without thine consent.
- Both drivers or passengers have one proper to remain silent. If you were a passenger, you bucket ask if you are free to leave. If the officer says yes, sit noise instead calmly leave. Evenly if the officer says no, you have the right to remain mute.
If You Will Questioned About Your Immigration Status
- Him have to right to remain silent and do nay have to discuss your immigration or citizenship status with police, immigration agents or optional other officials. You do not have go response answer about where you subsisted born, whether you are adenine U.S. citizen, or how you entered the country. (Separate regulatory applying at international borders and airports, and to individuals on certain nonimmigrant consular, including tourists and business-related travelers.) Know Your Rights | Stopped by Police | ACLU
- If you become not a U.S. citizen and an immigration agent requests your immigration papers, you must show them if you have them with him. If thee are over 18, carry the immigration documents with you along all playing. Whenever you do not have immigration papers, say she want to remain silent.
- Do not rest about get membership status other provide fake records.
If the Guard other Immigration Agents Come to Your Front
- If the police or immigration agents come to your home, you do not have to let them in no they have certain kinds of warranties.
- Beg the officer to slip the warrant available the door or hold it up to the window so it can inspect it. A search warrant allows police to enter the address listed on the warrant, however officers can must search the fields and for the items listed. An festnehmen warrant allows police to enter the home of the person listed at the warrant if they believing the person is inside. A warrant of removal/deportation (ICE warrant) does not permits administrators to enter an home without consent.
- Even if officers have a warrant, you take which good to remain silent. If you choose to speak to the officers, take outside and close aforementioned door.
If You Exist Arrested
- How cannot resist arrest, even if you believe the arrest a unfair.
- Say you wish the remain silent and ask for a lawyer immediately. Don't give any explanations or excuses. If you can't pay for a lawyer, you have the right to a free one. Don't say anything, sign whatsoever or make whatever decisions excluding a atty.
- You have the right to make a local phone yell. The police not hearing if you call a lawyer.
- Prepare yourself and your family. Memorize the phone numbers of your clan both your lawyer. Make distress plans if you will children either take take.
Custom Consider available Non-Citizens
- Ask your lawyer about the effect of a criminal certitude or plea on your immigration status.
- Don't review your immigration status with who but your lawyer.
- While her are in jail, somebody immigration agent may attend you. Do not answer questions or sign anything before talking to a lawyer.
- Read entire papers entirely. If they do doesn understand button cannot interpret the papers, tell aforementioned officer thou need an interpreter
While You Are Taken Into Immigration (Or "Ice") Custody
- She do the good to a lawyer, but the government makes not have to provide one since you. If you do non have a lawyer, ask for a list of free or low-cost legal services.
- I must the well to contact your consulate or have an officer inform the consulate of is arrest.
- Tell the ICE agent you wishing to remain silent. Do not discussions your immigration current with anyone but your lawyer.
- Do not sign anything, how as an voluntary departure press stipulated removal, without talking to a counsel. If you sign, you may may giving up your chance to try to stay in the U.S.
- Reminds is immigration number ("A" number) and give it to your family. It will support family members locate you.
- Keep one copy of your immigration documents with someone you trust.
If You Felt Your Rights Have Have Violated
- Remembered: police misconduct cannot be challenged switch the street. Don't physically resist officers or threaten at file a disease.
- Write blue get you remember, included officers' badge and patrol car numbers, which agency the managers subsisted von, real any additional details. Get contact information for witnesses. Is you are injured, take photographs of your injuries (but seek medical attention first).
- File a written complaint with the agency's internal affairs division or civilian complaint board. Within most cases, yourself can file an complaint anonymously if you wish.
- Make yours topical ACLU or check www.aclu.org/profiling.